We hope you love the products we recommend and just so you know that as an Amazon Associate CoyoteHunting.org may earn from qualifying purchases.
As a hunter and shooting enthusiast, I’ve tried various types of rifle cases over the years.
But it wasn’t until I picked up a soft rifle case that I truly appreciated the convenience and versatility they offer. Whether I’m packing for a hunting trip or heading to the range, a soft rifle case has become an essential part of my gear.
Wouldn’t it be good to find the best lightweight rifle case for your next flight, or to carry with you to the your next hunting locale.
This article will be split down the middle into two categories,
Firstly – the best soft lightweight rifle case,
and secondly; the best hard rifle case.
Regardless though, there was one winner that I think is by far the best lightweight rifle case across both categories. If you’re in a hurry, this is my top pick:
Overall, the Best Lightweight Rifle Case:
What makes the best lightweight rifle case?
There are many reasons why a soft rifle case might be better than a hard one:
- Flexibility: Soft rifle cases are made of flexible materials like nylon or canvas that can mould to the shape of your rifle for a good fit. This can help keep your rifle from getting scratched or dinged up on the way home.
- Lightweight: Soft rifle cases are usually lighter than hard rifle cases, which can make them a better choice for travelling or carrying your rifle over long distances.
- Cost: Most of the time, soft rifle cases cost less than hard rifle cases.
- Storage: Because they can be folded or rolled up, soft rifle cases are easier to store in small places or put into bigger bags.
- Customizable: Some soft rifle cases come with inserts that can be changed, like foam padding or straps that can be tightened or loosened. This lets you make the case fit your specific rifle.
- Easy Access: Soft rifle cases usually have zippers or Velcro closures, which make it faster and easier to get to your gun. Hard cases, on the other hand, may have latches that you have to open and close to get to your gun.
It’s important to know that a hard case can protect your rifle better, especially if it will be handled roughly or used in harsh conditions. So, it depends on how you plan to use it and what you prefer.
So, on with the show, here’s our selections for the best lightweight rifle case:
Best Lightweight Rifle Case – SOFT
|Top Top||1.65 Pounds||Check Price||Allen Company Daytona Soft Carrying Gun, Rifle Case, 46 inches, Brown/Black|
|Top||0.948 Pound (Package Weight)||Check Price||Bulldog Cases BD100-40 Pit Bull Rifle Case, Black with Black Trim 40"|
|Top||2 Pounds||Check Price||M&P by Smith & Wesson Duty Series Gun Case Padded Tactical Rifle Bag for Hunting Shooting Range Sports Storage and Transport|
|Top||1.03 Pounds||Check Price||Allen Company Ruger® Rifle Case - 10/22 Scoped Soft Gun Case - Red and Black Gun Bag - 40IN Will Fit Rifles with or Without Scope: Flagstaff 40IN|
Alright, so this table really does speak for itself in terms of the weight.
If you’re specifically just looking for the straight-up lightest, then you have to go with the Bulldog Cases BD100-40 Pit Bull Rifle Case, do keep in mind however that it is designed for a 40inch rifle.
Best Lightweight Rifle Case – HARD
|Top||9.7 Pounds||Check Price||Plano Single Scoped or Double Non-Scoped Rifle Case|
|Top||13 Pounds||Check Price||Plano All Weather Tactical Gun Case, 42-Inch , Black|
|Top Top||2.2 Pounds||Check Price||Flambeau Outdoors 6500AR AR Tactical Gun Case with ZERUST - 40 x 12 x 4 in. Hard Gun Case with Zerust Magazine Pockets and Straps for Ammunition, Firearm Storage Accessory|
|Top||5 Pounds||Check Price||Plano Pro-Max Single Scope Contoured Rifle Case Black, Pack of 1|
Again, the table is pretty self explanatory.
However, you do need to make a judgement call on size vs heavy-duty-‘ness’. Sturdier and stronger materials mean that the overall weight of the case is going to increase. It’s up to you to decide what the trade off should be.
In this instance however, my favourite lies in the Flambeau Outdoors 6500AR AR Tactical Gun Case:
The main reason I choose this as the best lightweight rifle case in the Hard Case category is that it first of all weighs SO much less than the others.
It’s construction is Polypropylene and it is very well reviewed on Amazon, with over 9000 people singing it’s praises.
One of the great features that it includes is their proprietary technology of Zerust that is included in the case. This has the effect of releasing a special vapour into the case cavity that prevents corrosion – for up to 5 years.
The Flambeau Outdoors case meets TSA and airline safe requirements and is even constructed in the USA. It’s definitely my favourite across both hard and soft cases.